Macaws are native to South America but are also found in Mexico. Their mesmerizing feathers and sharp minds have made them extremely popular among wildlife enthusiasts and the general public.
Did you know that there are seventeen different macaw species found in the wild? They are categorized according to their size. Ten species come under the “large macaw” category while the remaining seven are grouped together in the “mini or dwarf macaw” category.
Listed below are some funny macaw facts:
- These birds are very intelligent and are popular for their talking abilities.
- They can get extremely vocal. They are famous for their loud vocal cords. Their screams and screeches can sometime be as high as 105 decibels or more.
- Macaws love eating and chewing on wood.
- Did you know that macaws love to bathe? If you have a pet macaw at home, do not restrict it whenever it indulges in water playing activities.
- They have a huge life span of 30 years or more. A few of them have been known to live up to 80 to hundred years also!
- They love chewing just about anything. They can cause considerable damage to your furniture and the interiors if you fail to train them appropriately.
- A macaw’s tongue is scaly and also has a bone to support it inside!
- Never allow these birds to sit on your shoulder.
- As macaws grow older, their eye color is known to lighten up considerably.
- On getting excited, it is common to see macaws blush. This also happens when they are exposed for long periods of time to sunlight.
More Articles :