Found in abundance in the rain forests of South America, macaws are becoming endangered because of the widespread chopping of rain forests by humans. Their numbers have dwindled considerably over the years. With illegal poaching rising alarmingly, a few species have already become extinct in the wild.
Macaws’ beautiful colored feathers and intelligence are appreciated and enjoyed by many. Train them to speak and they can get hold of quite a few vocabularies in a short period of time.
Listed below are a few types:
- Green Winged Macaws: These large macaws are quite expensive when compared to other species. They can cost up to $1,500 or more. They are characterized by red and green feathers and are found all over Central and South America. They are also considered one of the gentlest and softest macaw species.
- Scarlet Macaws: These birds are invariably mistaken for the green winged macaws. The only difference between the two species is the band of yellow feathers found on the scarlet macaws’ back. These species do not have facial feather lines either. These cost $1,500 or more.
- Blue and Gold Macaws: These are relatively less expensive and cost around $1,000. They have beautiful colored feathers and are extremely intelligent as well. Train them to speak and they can entertain you with their speaking skills like no other.
- Buffon Macaws: These are becoming extinct at a very fast rate. Owning one requires special permits and authorizations. They can also cost around $1,000 or more.
- Catalina Macaw: This type of macaw is bred in captivity. It is a cross breed between blue and gold macaws and scarlet macaws. These birds have yellow orange chest with a green head.
More Articles :