Ever wondered how long parrots live? Their life span depends on the species, the environment where they grown, whether they are bred in captivity or grow naturally in the wild. With more than 350 species discovered the world over, different species have different life spans.
Whether they are cockatoos, parakeets, macaws or lovebirds, any disturbance to their natural eco system can considerably interfere with their life span. In fact there are many species of parrots which have been enlisted as endangered or extinct because of the widespread destruction and damage caused to their natural habitation.
Listed below is a life span list of a few parrot species:
- Macaws can live for 50 to 100 years.
- Cockatoos are a close second. They live for 40 to 60 years or more.
- Amazon and African Grey parrots on the other hand can live for 70 and 60 years respectively.
- The Eclectus species can live for 65 to 85 years.
- Senegal’s can live for 50 years.
- The Conure and Caique species can live for 30 years.
- The smaller species like Lories and lorikeets live for 13 to 25 years.
- The cute little lovebirds have a lifespan of fifteen to twenty-five years.
- Cockatiels and parakeets, on the other hand, can live for 20 years.
These charming birds are known for their intelligence and speaking abilities. If you have one as a pet, taking good care of it and providing safe and hygienic conditions is crucial for its survival. Giving it free space to fly around and flex its wings is also vital. Keeping them in an enclosed area for a long time makes then unhappy, inactive and reduces their life span.
More Articles :