Vultures are known to eat dead animals and birds. They are mostly scavengers but when need arises they can turn out to be very clever predators too. These birds are found the world over except in Antarctica and Oceania. These birds are broadly classified according to their habitat. The Old World Vultures are found in Africa, Asia and Europe. The New World Vultures are found in parts of Americas.
Listed below are some interesting facts about vultures that you may not have known before:
- Did you know that a vulture can digest decayed meat with a lot of ease unlike other animals?
- They have a great immune system as well, making then highly resistant to various diseases and illness.
- Their sense of smell is their biggest weapon. They can sense a corpse miles away.
- Unlike other birds, they build one nest to hatch eggs for many years!
- Their bald head makes it very difficult for bacteria or any other type of microorganism to grow on.
- Their urine acts as a natural disinfectant. It has the ability to kill numerous microorganisms on its body, helping it to remain healthy.
- Urine also helps the vulture to cool its body down.
- Vultures not only eat flesh, they are also known to eat bones.
- They can glide for long hours without feeling tired.
- Although most vultures are considered aggressive and dangerous, the Turkey vultures are extremely gentle.
- Their sharp eyesight can help them spot a pray from long distances.
More Articles :