If your cat is suffering from weight loss, usually it should not worry you, as most people invariably have cats that are obese or overweight. So, if your cat is suffering from weight loss, it is not a cause for alarm. However, if the cat suffers extreme weight loss for no reason, then it could be due to a health issue.
There are many causes of weight loss in cats. If you change the diet of a cat, then it will lose weight. Other causes include relocating your home or changing the cat's lifestyle drastically. But if the weight loss continues progressively and the cat does not adjust to the changes, then a trip to a vet is necessary.
In case the weight loss is accompanied by deteriorating condition of the fur, loss of mass in the muscle, diarrhea, vomiting and frequent urination, then you should definitely take your cat to the vet immediately.
Any loss of weight in cats is not seen as a disease. Rather it is a sign that there is a health issue that needs to be treated and taken care of. A vet would be the right person to diagnose any health-related issues in your cat. Nonetheless, some of the causes of weight loss in cats include the following:
- One the main causes for weight loss in cats and their ultimate demise is kidney disease and kidney failure. In fact, many believe that weight loss is the first sign that a cat is having some sort of problem with its kidney.
- Diabetes mellitus is another cause of weight loss among cats. So, even if your cat is eating well but still suffering from loss of weight, then diabetes could be the culprit.
- Feline leukemia virus is causes loss of appetite, weight loss, diarrhea, and hordes of other infections in cats. It is quite similar to HIV that infects humans. The virus basically weakens the immune system of the cat.
- Hyperthyroidism is another common cause for weight loss among senior cats. Here the thyroid gland becomes overactive and induces weight loss even though the cat shows a better appetite.
More Articles :
- How To Shear Your Cat ?
- Houseplants That Cats Will Not Eat
- Causes Of Weight Loss In Cats
- How To Get Over A Dead Cat ?
- How To Keep Cats Out Of Yard ?
- Make Your Own Natural Cat Repellant
- Rabies Symptoms In Cats
- Siamese Cats Facts
- Smells That Cats Hate
- Symptoms Of Cat Dying
- What Does A Himalayan Cat Look Like ?
- What Table Food Can Cats Eat ?
- What To Feed Old Cats ?
- World Record Of Largest Cat