Fire ants are found growing luxuriously in southeastern US and are thought to have traveled all the way from South America during 1920s. They are reddish orange in color and extremely small in size. They are called “fire ants” because of the flame like coloration on their bodies. Their bite can turn out to be fiery and make the skin feel like it is on fire. A single bite from one ant is enough to trigger a chain reaction. Other ants will soon follow and attack the same person repeatedly.
Fire ant bites are itchy and painful. If left untreated, it can lead to secondary infections and death. These ants have a very powerful grip and cling onto the skin surface. They grip a piece of flesh, inject their venom and release a chemical attracting other ants towards the area.
Treatments for fire ant bite include:
- You can apply ammonia on the skin surface for a minute and wash it away with cold water immediately.
- You can also place an ice pack on the area. This will help reduce the itching and pain sensation.
- You can also wash the affected area with antibacterial soap. This is useful in preventing secondary infections.
- Hydrocortisone cream can be applied topically on the area to reduce itching sensation.
- Application of antibiotic ointment is also beneficial.
Immediate treatment is necessary to prevent unwanted secondary infections and allergic reactions. If left without being treated for a long time, it can result in death.
More Articles :