Beetles are one of the biggest groups of insects existing in the world. There are about 800,000 beetle species known on earth. In Canada and the US, about 30,000 different species of beetles have been found.
Beetles can be broadly classified based on the different families they belong to.
- Lady Beetles (Coccinellidae family): Also called lady bugs, there are about 5000 species of this variety of beetles that have been identified. While some feed on other insects, others feed on plants. (See Reference 1)
- Rove Beetles (Staphylinidae family): About 29,000 species are found in this diverse group of insects. They are generally black in color and are found at the ground level in loose soil, stones or under leaves. Some of them are active at night. (See Reference 1)
- Ground Beetles (Carabidae family): About 40,000 species exist and are predominantly brown or black in color. They are mostly found in damp areas. Many species are active at night while they hide under stones, plant debris or wooden logs during day time. They feed on aphids or caterpillars at night. They may also damage crops or feed on pollen, fungi or decaying plant matter. (See Reference 1)
- Soldier Beetles (Cantharidae family): These beetles generally live on flowers, and there are around 4,500 species identified in this family. (See Reference 1)
Others Popular Varieties: (See Reference 1)
- Fireflies (Lampyridae family)
- Leaf beetles (predominantly agricultural pests)
- Click beetles (Elateridae family)
- Scarab beetles (Scarabaeidae family)
- Weevils (Curculionidae family)
- Long-horned beetles (Cerambycidae family)
- Metallic wood boring beetles (Buprestidae family)
- Belid weevils (Belidae family)
- Wedge shaped beetles (Rhipiphoridae family)
- Pintail beetles (Mordellidae family)
- Pollen beetles (Melyridae family)
- Jewel beetles (Buprestidae family)
- Sap beetles (Nitidulidae family)
More Articles :
- How Many Species Of Beetles Are There In The World ?
- How To Make Your Own Small Hive Beetle Trap ?
- Lifecycle Of The Scarlet Lilly Beetle
- Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Japanese Beetles