A scorpion uses its sting on its tail to inject venom inside the skin. Many people refer to this as a scorpion bite but this is a misnomer. A scorpion does not use its mouthparts to bite anyone. It intelligently uses its tail to sting people. Although people are paranoid about these creatures, only one species found in the whole of North America is poisonous! Kids, aged adults and people who have a history of severe allergic reactions to insects will exhibit life-threatening symptoms when stung by a venomous scorpion.
Nevertheless, treating a scorpion sting is necessary irrespective of whether it is venomous or not. The golden rule here is to stay calm. This will considerably slow down the venom’s movement in the body. Freaking out or over reacting to the situation is not going to help you or the people around you.
Wash off the area with soap and water. Pain, redness, inflammation and swelling are generally observed. You can place an ice pack on the area. This will reduce the inflammation, itching sensation and will decrease the speed with which the venom travels to other parts of the body. Place an ice pack intermittently for ten minutes. You can apply antihistamine ointment on the area to reduce the pain sensation.
If you experience intense muscular contractions, chest pain, difficulty in breathing, roving eye movements, numbness in your legs and hands, blurry vision, irregular heartbeats, muscle cramps or dizziness, you should consult a doctor immediately. These symptoms occur if a poisonous scorpion has stung you.
Mild itching, extreme sensitivity in and around the area, nausea, excess salivation and intense pain are normally associated with non-venomous scorpion attacks. You therefore need not hit the panic button immediately.
More Articles :