What To Eat After Drinking To Replace Nutrients ?
Drinking alcohol is one habit that many people cannot get over with. However, alcohol consumption is associated with many health risks. Alcohol modifies the environment inside the liver in a way that it cannot perform its normal functions for a small period of time.
With every glass of alcohol consumed, the liver needs to work a bit extra so as to remove the toxins accumulated due to alcohol consumption. Another risk associated with alcohol drinking is excess urination. This results in dehydration due to loss of essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from the body. As a result, many alcoholics suffer with hangover, a condition characterized by headache, nausea, irregularly functioning abdomen, muscle ache and even fatigue. The best way to avoid hangover is to replace these lost nutrients. Below listed are some important tips for avoiding hangovers and replacing lost nutrients.
- Alcohol is less toxic when consumed on a full stomach. Food slows down the absorption of alcohol. However, one should avoid consuming excess of fats while taking food. A good food is one that has balanced levels of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Proteins should be the maximum, followed by carbohydrates and lastly fats.
- It is important to take some vitamin C after a drink. This acts as an antioxidant and helps the liver in removing toxins from the body. Two teaspoons of lemon juice along with a teaspoon of sugar and half glass of water is useful in stabilizing the blood glucose levels inside the body.
- Another good remedy for hangover cure is to have a banana. One can consume a banana milkshake that is sweetened with honey. Banana helps in removing any stomach upsets and honey replenishes the lost sugar levels. Milk aids in rehydrating the system and also is useful in replacing the lost nutrients.
- B-vitamins are heavily lost during urination after alcohol consumption. Hence, it is important to have a multi-vitamin tablet before going to bed.
- A chicken soup is also another useful alternative.
- One important home remedy is to consume a spoonful of ginger along with honey. Honey is rich in fructose and potassium.
- Peppermint has anti-flatulence properties. This can be taken along with tea or as a dried herb.