Night Sweats Cause And Treatment
Many people complain of night sweats which can occur due to a serious health problem or something completely harmless. For instance, if a bedroom is too hot and the person has too many bedclothes, it can result in night sweats. In this case, this kind of sweat is considered to be normal. It is the night sweat that is caused due to medical reasons that is something to worry about.
The night sweats caused due to medical reasons has nothing to do the temperature of the room. The person will suffer from extreme hot flashes episodes at night that cause the bedclothes as well as sleepwear to get drenched completely with perspiration.
When it comes to the treatment, it is first important to know the causes of the night sweats. Only if the cause can be determined, will the treatment be effective. There are several night sweat causes and some of them are mentioned below:
- Women who are entering into menopause often complain of night sweats. This is brought on due to changes in the levels of the female hormones.
- Idiopathic hyperhydrosis is a condition wherein there is chronic production of sweat without any known medical reason.
- Many infections can cause night sweats in a person. Infections like tuberculosis, endocarditis, osteomyelitis as well as HIV/AIDS can result in night sweats.
- There are some cancers that cause night sweats, for instance lymphoma. However, night sweats are not the only symptoms of cancer. It should be accompanied with other symptoms like sudden loss of weight for no reason and fever.
- There are certain medications that cause night sweats. The most common medication that causes night sweat is anti-depressant. In addition, acetaminophen and aspirin also cause night sweats. Corticosteroids like prednisolone and prednisone can also cause this problem along with nitroglycerine, tamoxifen, sildenafil and high doses of niacin for lipid problems.
- Hypoglycemia can also cause night sweats in diabetics who are on insulin or medication for diabetes.
- Hormonal problems like hyperthyroidism and carcinoid syndrome cause flushing and night sweats.
As there are many night sweats causes, the doctor will prescribe a treatment after determining the cause. In this cause, the underlying medical condition has to be treated in order for the night sweats to alleviate or disappear. When night sweats are caused due to menopause, then estrogen therapy or a combination of progesterone and estrogen is given to the woman. Once the female hormones are in balance, the symptoms of night sweats will disappear.
More Articles :