Usually, during the holiday season, it is common for people to bring poinsettias into their homes. However, with a little bit of care and effort, you can ensure that your poinsettias grow right round the year. Ensuring that you select a healthy plant, place it in the right place in the house, and water and feed it correctly, you will be able to ensure that your poinsettia grows throughout the yearirst Paragraph Here
Here are some growing poinsettia tips that you will find extremely useful: (See Reference 1)
- When selecting a plant to buy, ensure that the stem is sturdy and the color is dark.
- Check the flowers carefully. They should not have pollen. If pollen is present, it means that the plant is unhealthy.
- After purchasing the plant, protect it from the elements as slight exposure can prove to be detrimental to the plant. Take the plant home at once and put it into a warm room.
- The location where you place the plant should neither be too cold nor too hot. Also, ensure that the location does not get cold or hot drafts.
- The plant should get a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight each day. But ensure that the plant does not get direct sunlight in the afternoon as it could burn it.
- If you want your poinsettia to bloom, then ensure that the day time temperature is around 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit and the nighttime temperature is around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The plant has dry or brown leaves, clip them away gently.
- The pot should have proper drainage and you should only water the plant when the soil appears to be dry.
- Feed the plant once a month using a light fertilizer.
- If you want to place your plant outdoors, ensure that the outside temperature is more than 55 degrees and there is no risk of frost. Even a slight exposure to frost can kill the plant.
- Allow your plant to get acclimatized to the sun by first placing it under some shade.
- If it rains, bring the plant indoors to prevent it from getting too much moisture. Increased moisture can cause the plant to get diseases.
- To make the poinsettia bloom, ensure that it has longer nights and shorter days. This can be done by covering the plant with a heavy bag to mimic nights.
If you follow the aforementioned tips, you should be able to grow poinsettia well beyond the holiday season.
More Articles :