Did you know that strawberries belonged to the same family as the rose? However, they have a long history. Strawberries are the natives of North and South America actually.
There are more than twenty species of strawberries grown in America, and all the species are commercially available. There are also a large variety of hybrids available in the market.The strawberry today is considered as an accessory fruit as it is used for several decorative purposes in cuisines. Also, people believe that the taste of the strawberry mainly depends on the cultivator.
The Americans were the first among people to experiment and find the fruit. They took both the varieties of berries from North and South America, and developed a new hybrid variety which is called the strawberry today.
People started cultivating the plant actively and found it to be satisfying and also a wholesome experience. Most of the strawberry cultivators during the 16th and the 17th century were actually hobbyists. They did it just for the fun of it. Also, it was never really considered as a main fruit. However travelers who came from different lands found the fruit so interesting that they took some back to their own country and tried cultivating it. Some European countries were successful in cultivating the plant, and some were not. In countries like Argentina, a strawberry was considered poisonous until the early 19th century. Due to scientific revelations and its health benefits the misconception was cleared. Also Romans were one of the first to identify the good qualities of the fruit.
More Articles :
- Best Frosting For Strawberry Cake
- Best Strawberry Jam Recipes
- Care Of Strawberry Plants
- Easy Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Growing Tips For Strawberry Plants
- How To Make Strawberry Cheesecake ?
- How To Make Strawberry Frosting ?
- How To Make Strawberry Smoothies ?
- How To Plant Strawberry Plants ?
- Strawberry Facts
- Strawberry Harvest Season
- Strawberry Origin
- Tips For Gardening Strawberry Planters
- What Does A Strawberry Plant Look Like ?
- Why Is A Strawberry Called A Strawberry ?