Pumpkin seeds as the name suggests are obtained from pumpkin plants. This plant is grown extensively in China, India, Mexico and United States. The vegetables are used in numerous recipes. Pumpkin seeds are often regarded as useless and discarded. However, these seeds are a rich storehouse of numerous nutrients. They have a pleasant nutty flavor and are dark green in color.
Listed below are some medicinal benefits of consuming pumpkin seeds:
- Anti cancerous: They have been proven to reduce the occurrence of prostate cancer. The oil found in pumpkin seeds prevents excess multiplication of prostate cells by obstructing the over activity of testosterone and DHT.
- Stimulate appetite: Pumpkin seeds have the ability to stimulate hunger. They are therefore used as appetite enhancers.
- Lower cholesterol: They have phytosterols, compounds that have been scientifically proven to reduce blood cholesterol. A daily of intake of pumpkin seeds has shown marked decrease in cholesterol levels. They can also reduce the occurrence of cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory: It has numerous nutrients that act as anti-inflammatory compounds in the body. They can relieve pain and discomfort associated with arthritis.
- Prevent osteoporosis: They have high content of calcium and zinc. These mineral are required for maintenance of bone density and porosity. A daily consumption of pumpkin seeds can significantly reduce the occurrence of osteoporosis in men and women.
- Anti depressant: They are rich in L-tryptophan, an amino acid that can fight depression and stress successfully.
- Prevent kidney stones: Pumpkin seeds have been proven to prevent any type of calcium oxalate formation in kidneys, in turn preventing any type of kidney stone formation.
More Articles :