Scale is a very common problem that affects the houseplants. These insects can be usually found on the stems or the leaves of the plants. Most of the scale insects are 1/16 to 1/4 inch in diameter. They are either tan or brown in color. When the plants are infested with scales, their growth is stunted and in some cases the plants may also dies.
Controlling scale insects is a mammoth task. One of the ways to reduce the infestation is to individually dab each scale with cotton soaked in alcohol. But this will consume a lot of time and it is laborious. Instead of this, one can try using sprays or insecticides. There are many different kinds of spray pumps that are available at the garden centers. One can use a diluted solution of soap water to spray on the infested stems and leaves. One needs to persistently and repeatedly spray the plants until the scales are gone or have reduced to a large extent. This will not happen in a day or two and might even take more than a month. There are also granular insecticides which can be mixed in the soil but they are not so effective and since they are toxic people may not like to use them.
Finally, if either of these methods does not work, then it is good idea to just discard the infested plant and go for a new one. However, if the plant is very valuable and you do not want to part with it, then you need to continue the above mentioned processes because they are really simple and easy ways to get rid of these pests.
More Articles :
- Benefits Of Houseplant Water Timer
- Do Houseplants Cause Health Problems ?
- Houseplants With Segmented Stems
- How To Get Rid Of Aphids On Houseplants ?
- Hydrangea As Houseplant
- Natural Pest Control For Houseplants
- Red Velvet Houseplant
- Remedy For Soft Brown Scale On Houseplants
- What Houseplants Clean Our Air ?
- What Houseplants Require Full Sun ?
- When To Move Houseplants Outdoors ?
- Why Are My Houseplants Turning Yellow And Wilting ?
- Why Is The Drainage Water From Houseplants Coffee Colored ?
- Zinc Absorption Houseplant