The best part about tomato plants is that they tend to yield the same amount of tomatoes whether they are grown in a vegetable patch or pots. When you grow tomato plants in pots, you not only can get fresh tomatoes, you can also use the pot to decorate your porch or patio. It has been noticed that tomatoes grown in pots tend to be healthier as they are protected from pests and infections.
You can use a large pot to grow more than one tomato plant and along with these, you can also plant herbs like basil or parsley. Thus, deriving dual benefits when it comes to making fresh and crunchy salads.
In order to grow tomato plants in pots, you should first prepare the seedlings. Take good quality tomato seeds and germinate them indoors in pots or other containers. When the plants grow their second set of leaves, it is time to transplant them into pots. The amount of soil used in the pots will depend on the variety of tomato you need to grow. For instance, cherry tomatoes would require around 2 to 3 pounds of top soil and fertilized potting soil; whereas large variety of tomato plants would require around 5 to 6 pounds of potting soil.Usually it is advisable to use half barrels to grow one tomato plant so that there is ample space for the plant and the tomatoes to grow. Before transplanting the seedling, make sure that you make a drainage hole in the barrel so that excess water can come out. Also, include the stake while you are transplanting. This will provide support to the plant once it gets heavy with tomatoes. It should take a few weeks before the tomatoes come out. Wait for them to turn red before picking them.
|Vegetable Gardening :|
More Articles :
- Best Tomatoes Growing Tips
- Can I Grow Cherry Tomatoes In A Container
- Disease In Tomato Plants
- Grow Time Of Cherry Tomatoes
- Grow Tomato Plants In Pots
- Growing Tomatoes In Buckets
- How Much Sun Do Tomato Plants Need ?
- How Often Should I Water My Tomato Plants ?
- How To Freeze Tomatoes ?
- How To Start Tomato Seeds ?
- Nutritional Value Of A Tomato
- What Is The Scientific Name Of A Tomato ?
- What Make Leaves Of Tomato Plant Turning Yellow ?
- When Should I Plant Tomatoes ?
- Why Is A Tomato A Fruit ?