Cholesterol is a fatty substance and an important component of the body, used for many vital activities. It is found in different types of food such as meat, eggs, butter, milk etc. If there is too much cholesterol in the body, it can cause hardening of arteries leading to heart attack or stroke.
If your total cholesterol level is 240 or more, you are in a high risk zone. You are on the borderline if your cholesterol varies between 200 and 239 mg/dl. Beyond 200 mg/dl the risk factor for coronary diseases increases rapidly.
The following are some home remedies to reduce the level of cholesterol.
- Guggul, also known as guggulipid, is an extract from the commiphora mukul tree. It breaks down the LDL cholesterol (which is the bad cholesterol) and can lower LDL cholesterol levels by 30 percent. It can also lower total cholesterol by 14 to 27 percent, triglycerides by 22 to 30 percent, and increase HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) by 20 percent. LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) should be as low as possible. The greater the HDL cholesterol, the better.
- Taking Psyllum husk (Isabgul) herb with milk at bedtime keeps the cholesterol down.
- Have a diet high in fiber as it reduces the total cholesterol level.
- Two to five gms of sunflower seeds with water also helps.
- Boil 10 pieces of cinnamon in 5 cups of water. Add a tablespoon of honey and drink it hot.
- Have an apple a day.
- Blanch lemon grass and drink several times a day.
- Mix one tablespoon Hilba (Yemenite herb) in water and drink everyday.
- Drink pomelo juice.
More Articles :
- Are Freeze Or Dried Herbal Supplements Better ?
- Debates On Requirements For Herbal Supplements
- Herbal Medicines And Interactions With Drugs
- Herbal Remedies For Bad Breath And Tooth Infection
- Herbal Remedies For Pinched Nerve
- Natural Herbal Remedies For Cholesterol
- The Other Side Of Herbal Medicines
- Top Herbal Medicine Used To Decrease Blood Pressure