How to Get Rid of a Stiff NeckSitting in front of the computer or talking over phone for a long time without moving your head can result in a stiff neck. The other common causes for this problem are sleeping in the wrong position or using very hard pillows. You may also develop stiff neck while practicing swimming strokes, sitting in improper position or exposing your neck to cold. Since the neck muscles become numb, the individual experiences lot of pain.
Here are some tips to overcome this problem:
- Consult your doctor and learn some simple neck exercises that would help you relieve your stiff neck. However, ensure that you learn the neck movements carefully. Otherwise, you may harm yourself further.
- Cold or hot compress on the painful area can help in reducing the pain. Do not place heat pad if you observe inflammation. In this case, use ice compress.
- Apply pain-relieving ointments. Massage the area nicely and cover it with a scarf to keep it warm. Never go out in the cold when you have stiff neck. The pain may increase. If you are unable to bear the pain, consult a physiotherapist.
- Stand under a hot water shower and let it relax your neck muscles. This would loosen the cramps.
- When you work on the computer, consciously turn your head on either side in order to prevent developing stiff neck.
- Sometimes, changing your pillow can help in overcoming the stiff neck problem. Ensure that you sleep on a soft and light pillow or use an orthopedic pillow after consulting your doctor.
More Articles :