Millions of people across the world suffer from high blood pressure. This is a major cause of concern as elevated pressure can lead to many heart ailments and associated health problems. People who are suffering from elevated blood pressure need to take medication in conjunction with changes to their lifestyles. One of the lifestyle changes that people with elevated blood pressure have to incorporate is consuming fruits and vegetables that lower blood pressure naturally.
There are several fruits and vegetables that aid in lower elevated blood pressure. Fruits are a powerhouse of vitamins, anti-oxidants and other important nutrients. It is recommended that people with elevated blood pressure should be looking to consume 4 to 5 servings of various fruits on a daily basis. Some of the fruits that aid in lowering blood pressure include the following:
Prunes are replete with potassium and some amount of sodium. This fruit aids in maintaining the blood pressure and also maintaining the working of the heart. In addition, prunes aid in preventing onset of atherosclerosis.
Melon is good for getting potassium and magnesium and these 2 nutrients help to lower blood pressure. In addition, melon also contains carotenoids that prevent the blood vessels from hardening and constricting. The 2 kinds of melon help in lowering elevated blood pressure include musk melon and watermelon.
Bananas have been recommended for lowering blood pressure due to the low content of sodium and high content of potassium. It is believed that consuming 2 bananas a day aids in lowering elevated pressure.
Other fruits that help to lower elevated blood pressure include lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges and tangerines.
Now coming to the vegetables that aid in lowering blood pressure. The vegetables that a person with elevated blood pressure should be looking to eat are mentioned below.
Bitter gourd is a source for getting citruline, which is an amino acid. This amino acid helps to increase the level of nitric monosodium in the blood and also Vitamin C. When nitric monosodium increases in the blood, pressure tends to get lowered.
Carrot is also good for lowering elevated blood pressure as it is a rich source of potassium as well as Beta carotene. It is recommended that carrots are consumed raw. However, you can have them in the form of juice and you can enhance the flavor by adding mint and/or parsley.
Tomato is also an excellent source for getting potassium, calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. In addition, tomato contains an anti-oxidant called lycopene that aids in lowering elevated blood pressure and preventing the LDL cholesterol from adhering to the arterial walls which result in elevated blood pressure.
Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce and Chinese cabbage are known to contain Beta carotene, lutein, and hosts of phyto-chemicals that prevent atherosclerosis and elevated blood pressure.
Other vegetables that aid in lowering blood pressure include cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage.
More Articles :
- A Guide To Lowering High Blood Pressure
- Best Way To Lower Your Blood Pressure Without Drugs
- Can Blood Pressure Medication Cause Cough ?
- Can High Blood Pressure Cause High Cholesterol ?
- Chinese Medicine For High Blood Pressure
- Dangers Of Alcohol And High Blood Pressure Medication
- Does Lower Blood Pressure Naturally Happen For Seniors ?
- Fast Ways To Lower Blood Pressure
- Fruits And Vegetables That Lower Blood Pressure
- How Much Green Tea Should You Drink To Lower Blood Pressure ?
- How Music Affects Blood Pressure ?
- Normal Blood Pressure While Sleeping
- Physical Symptoms Of High Blood Pressure
- The Causes And Consequences Of High Blood Pressure
- What Are Nutritional Supplements Cause High Blood Pressure ?
- What Is Normal Blood Pressure Range ?
- When Is Blood Pressure Considered Too Low ?