There are many blood test procedures for the diagnosis of diabetes. These tests not only help a doctor find out whether a person has diabetes, they also help the doctor and patient understand whether the person is able to successfully manage his or her blood sugar.
Some of the blood test procedures for the diagnosis of diabetes are briefly described below:
Testing the fasting blood sugar is the most common type of diabetes test that is performed. In this test, the person's blood is tested after he or she fasts for a period of 8 hours. The blood is drawn from a vein in the arm, or it can also be taken from finger prick. The mode of taking the blood depends on the kind of analysis being done. Usually, this test is done when a person complains of typical symptoms of the disease, like feeling thirsty frequently, frequent urination, unexplained loss of weight, feeling extremely hungry and having a tingling sensation accompanied with numbness in the arms and legs.
Random blood sugar test is another test that can be performed to diagnose diabetes. It can be done at any time and it does not matter whether the person has fasted or consumed food. In this test, the blood glucose level is checked. If the glucose level is 200 mg/dL, then some more tests can be performed to get a concrete diagnosis of diabetes.A highly sensitive test for diagnosing diabetes is the oral glucose tolerance test. Initially, fast blood sugar test is performed. Thereafter, the person is given around 75 grams of glucose solution and 2 hours later the blood is tested again for the glucose. In case the blood glucose level is 200 mg/dL, then it is diagnosed as diabetes.
More Articles :
- Blood Test Procedure For Diabetes Diagnosis
- Blood Test Results What They Mean
- Causes Of High Vitamin B12 In Blood Levels
- How Accurate Is Blood Test For Pregnancy ?
- How Long To Fast Before A Blood Test ?
- How To Read A Blood Test Report ?
- Is It Normal To Feel Pain In Arm Days After Blood Test ?
- The Characteristic Of Good Test Of Blood Sample
- What High Liver Enzyme In Blood Test May Indicate ?
- What Is High Neutrophils From Blood Test Result ?
- What To Do Before Blood Test ?
- Would Cancer Show Up In A Blood Test ?