Legal Advice For Child Support  

Child support is a payment by one parent to other often by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent for the support of their common child or children. The money is intended to help, support the raising of the child, which is in their best interest. Every state has its own way of calculating the amount of child support an ex-spouse is required to pay based on federal regulations.

All states have a formula established or court rules that determine the amount of child support to be paid by one parent to the other so that it is fair and reasonable.

State child support guidelines take into consideration the following things:

  • The minimum expense for caring of the child i.e. health care costs, education costs, food costs etc.
  • The income and ability of the non-custodial parent to support the child, or himself or herself.
  • The standard of living the child would have enjoyed when the parents were married. In some states child support is calculated by combining the incomes of the parents and multiplying that figure by the percentage set fourth in guidelines.

If the non custodial parents refused to pay the child support then there are private and state agencies set up to help custodial parents to get payments from delinquent non-custodial parents. The state agencies have variety of enforcement tolls like suspension of the non-paying parent's driving license, seizure of income tax refunds or confiscation of passport.

Modification of Child Support:
Child support can be modified if there is change in circumstances such as loss of job, unemployment, serious illness or disability or bankruptcy. Having a lawyer is always better but if you cannot afford a lawyer, there are many state agencies that assist you in determining the fair child support amount. By law, child support automatically comes to an end when the child becomes major i.e. he turns 18 years of age or has joined military or is married and is earning money to provide for himself. Child support also terminates if your child does not live with the custodial parent and has moved in with you.

If a court sees that a non-custodial parent has failed to obey the state child support laws, his or her driving license could be suspended after 30 days. If a non-custodial parent is prosecuted, he or she can be sentenced to jail term for 6 months to 12 months.

More Articles :




Legal Advice For Child Support

Lowering-Child-Support      Lowering your child support is sometimes becomes necessary due to change in circumstances such as loss of job, unemployment, serious illness or disability or bankruptcy. In order to lower child support for changed financial circumstances, a parent must justify the modification because of their inability to pay. More..




Home  • Bankruptcy Law   • Business Law  • Constitution Law • CopyRight Law   • Criminal LawEmployment Law   • Family Law   • Immigration Law   • Legal Dispute      • Malpractice   • Personal Injury   • Real Estate Law   • Tax Law   • Traffic Law   • Trust Law Legal News

Legal Advice For Child Support )
Copyright © 2012, All Rights Reserved.