The functions and characteristics of the nervous system can seem to be complex, but there are some fun facts that can make it interesting for kids. For example, a new born baby would be born after losing nearly half of its nerve cells in the womb but its brain grows more than three times its size during the first year of its birth.
An average adult brain weighs thrice as much as a newborn’s brains. After twenty years of age, a human will tend to lose one gram of brain weight every year. The average weight of the brain in human males is one thousand three hundred and seventy-six grams, while it weighs one thousand two hundred seventy six grams in females. The difference in weight is not an ascertaining factor of the intelligence in the sexes, but just that human men have bigger brains due to their larger body size.
Another very interesting fact about the human brain is that the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, while the left side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain.
Of all the cells in the human brain, we use only about four percent keeping the remaining ninety-six percent as reserve.
The spinal cord has around 135,000,000 neurons. If one could spread out the human brain like a cloth, its surface area would cover twenty-five thousand square centimeters.
Nerve cells are very long, as long as one meter where they connect the toes to the spinal cord. The nerve cell in the human brain resembles a goldfish. The most sensitive nerves are found at the base of the spinal cord.
More Articles :
- Effects Of Tobacco Smoking On The Central Nervous System
- Excessive Yawning And Parasympathetic Nervous System
- How Does Alcohol Affect The Nervous System Graph ?
- How Does The Nervous System Effect The Brain ?
- How Is The Cental Nervous System Protected ?
- How Much Protein Per Day Quiet Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- Nervous System Fun Facts For Kids
- Nutritional Support For Parasympathetic Nervous System
- Peripheral Nervous System And Rami
- Points To Relax The Nervous System
- Tell Me About The Nervous System
- What Causes Problems With Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- What Diseases Are Found In The Nervous System ?
- What Is The Function Of A Nervous System ?