The nervous system is one of the most complex systems in the human body. It can be classified into the Central Nervous System or the CNS, and the Peripheral Nervous System or the PNS.
The CNS is made up of the spinal cord and brain. Both the brain and spinal cord are protected by bones. They are also surrounded by special membranes called meninges, and are filled with a distinctive fluid called cerebrospinal fluid. The brain is the control center which tells the body what to do, how and when to do it. It receives information via nerves and spinal cord, and sends out information the same way. The spinal cord goes from the brain, and runs all the way down through the back of the body. Threadlike nerves branch out from the spinal cord and go to all part of the body.
The Peripheral Nervous System is made up of nerve cells or neurons. One has to take good care of the body to maintain a healthy life. In case of an injury and damage to some nerve cells, the damaged nerves have little or no ability to repair themselves which can prove to be a tragic loss to the respective person.
Neurons carry messages from various parts of the body in the form of electric impulses. Neurons consist of axons and dendrites. Electric impulses have to go from the Axon of one neuron to the Dendrite of another neuron. As the neurons do not touch one another, the electric impulse has to change to chemical signal before it reaches the next neuron, whereupon it reverts to electric impulse.
More Articles :
- Effects Of Tobacco Smoking On The Central Nervous System
- Excessive Yawning And Parasympathetic Nervous System
- How Does Alcohol Affect The Nervous System Graph ?
- How Does The Nervous System Effect The Brain ?
- How Is The Cental Nervous System Protected ?
- How Much Protein Per Day Quiet Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- Nervous System Fun Facts For Kids
- Nutritional Support For Parasympathetic Nervous System
- Peripheral Nervous System And Rami
- Points To Relax The Nervous System
- Tell Me About The Nervous System
- What Causes Problems With Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- What Diseases Are Found In The Nervous System ?
- What Is The Function Of A Nervous System ?