There are many functions of the nervous system which are learnt by observations, effects of diseases, and experiments conducted by scientists, mostly on monkeys. It has been learned that the nervous system is a major and complex system in the human body. It is the controlling unit which is in touch with all the parts of the body through signals and nerves.
The human brain thinks and develops a learning ability and store memories.
The main organs of the nervous system are the brain, spinal cord and nerves. There are sensory receptors which respond to stimuli like heat, cold, pressure, vibrations, light and sound. They send the appropriate signals to the brain which processes the information and send back replies to which parts or organs concerned should act. For example, when the eyes see trees, the image is sent to the brain as impulses. The brain then interprets the image as tress, and this is where we actually “see” the image.
Another example is the reflex action of the body. When the hand touches something hot, the signals are sent to the brain. The brain processes the information, and sends a reply asking the hand to be removed from the hot surface. This happens within the fraction of a second, and is involuntary.
The above is an example of external detections. Likewise, there are internal detections in the body. The nervous system also monitors the body functions such as pH levels, levels of electrolytes and activities of the organs. If anything is not right in the internal functioning of the body, the information is processed and appropriate action is taken to set things right. A human being cannot function without the nervous system.
More Articles :
- Effects Of Tobacco Smoking On The Central Nervous System
- Excessive Yawning And Parasympathetic Nervous System
- How Does Alcohol Affect The Nervous System Graph ?
- How Does The Nervous System Effect The Brain ?
- How Is The Cental Nervous System Protected ?
- How Much Protein Per Day Quiet Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- Nervous System Fun Facts For Kids
- Nutritional Support For Parasympathetic Nervous System
- Peripheral Nervous System And Rami
- Points To Relax The Nervous System
- Tell Me About The Nervous System
- What Causes Problems With Sympathetic Nervous System ?
- What Diseases Are Found In The Nervous System ?
- What Is The Function Of A Nervous System ?