The age for the gray hair to appear for men is considered as 30 years and for women it is 35 years. But there are extreme cases where graying has started when a person is in high school and there are others for whom graying comes calling very late when they are in their 60s.
There is a need to understand the factors responsible for the hair to become gray. It seems that there are several factors and some of them are as follows:
- Decay of melanin
- Anxiety and sorrow
- Keeping late nights
- Excessive sex
- Hereditary factors
- Chronic cold
- Use of very hot spices
- Use of inedible oils
- Poor circulation of blood in the head
- Excessive exposure to sun
- Excessive fasting
- Use of hydrogen peroxide in hair
- Mental shock
- Lack of vitamin B, iron, zinc, and iodine
- Use of hair drier
- Refined sugar and sugary products
There are as many as 100,000 follicles in the scalp. At any time 80 to 90 percent of the hairs in the head are in active growth phase. This phase continues for 2 to 7 years after which the hair falls off. During this period the follicle enters a resting phase. At the bottom of the follicles there are two groups of cells known as keratinocytes and melanocytes. While keratinocytes are meant for growing hair, melanocytes provide the pigment required for the hair color. Melanocyte produces a pigment called melanin and this is supplied to the keratinocyte to provide color to the hair. As long as melanin is present hair color is visible. When hair loses most of its melanin it appears gray. If melanin is completely exhausted it will appear white.
Generally keartinocyte stem cells have more longevity in comparison with melanocyte stem cells. That means melanocyte is going to stop functioning much earlier to keratinocyte. If on is getting gray hair, it means melanin is running short.
More Articles :
- Best Hair Dye For Gray Coverage
- Can Chemical Imbalance Cause Gray Hair ?
- Gray Hair And Diet Nutrition
- Gray Hair Styles And Cuts
- Herb To Eliminate Gray Hair
- Is Low Trace Minerals Linked To Gray Hair ?
- Premature Gray Hair In Children
- Reverse Gray Hair Naturally
- What Does It Mean When You Are Getting Gray Hair ?