Rubbing Alcohol To Kill Nail Fungus

Rubbing Alcohol To Kill Nail Fungus

Nail fungus is a common condition known medically as Onychomycosis. It is caused by tiny organisms or bacteria that collect and proliferate under the nails.  The bacteria thrive in a warm, moist and dark environment which is why those who wear shoes in warmer climates are particularly susceptible. Because the bacteria are inaccessible, treating and curing nail fungus is difficult and often protracted.

These are some of the causes of nail fungus:

  • A broken nail allowing bacteria ingress.
  • Weakened toenails because of ill-fitting shoes.
  • Wearing damp shoes.
  • Cutting toenails too close to the skin which allows bacteria to enter.
  • Constantly damp feet.

These are some of the symptoms:

  • Nails that are brittle and flaky.
  • Nails where the ends become chipped.
  • Nails that have yellow or white spots.
  • Nails that become discolored.
  • Nails that thicken and are painful.
  • Nails that emit a foul odor.

The first signs are generally white or yellow spots under the nails. Observe these carefully but take remedial action immediately. If it is a case of nail fungus infection, prompt action will control its spread. Nail fungus is extremely contagious.

There are several home remedies using commonly available ingredients. One of these is the use of rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is stocked by any pharmacy.

Soak the nails in warm water with a few drops of disinfectant for five minutes or so. Remove and wipe dry thoroughly. Now soak the infected nails in rubbing alcohol for twenty minutes the dry thoroughly. Do this twice a day in the morning and before going to bed.

If the condition is still in its early stages, rubbing alcohol therapy should eliminate it in a few weeks.

More Articles :

Rubbing Alcohol To Kill Nail Fungus