A recent research has found out that more than 90 percent of mouthwashes being sold in the market have very high acidity. So, what can this mean for tooth sensitivity? Does using mouthwash increase tooth sensitivity? The answer to this question is yes. If your mouthwash is highly acidic, it will increase tooth sensitivity.
In order to understand tooth sensitivity, it is important to understand the structure of the tooth. The tooth has an outer hard covering, which is known as enamel. The enamel protects your tooth and the soft inner portions of the tooth. In fact, the enamel is so hard that after a diamond, it is the second hardest substance on the face of the earth.
When you use an acidic mouthwash, the enamel is affected. The acid in the mouthwash has a corrosive action on the enamel and there is an increase in enamel loss. When enamel is lost, the second layer, dentin, is exposed. It is this part of the tooth that is affected by hot or cold foods and beverages.
Even independent research conducted by the Division of Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, Bristol, UK came up with the same result -- acidic mouthwashes lead to enamel loss over a period of time and the damage to the enamel is even greater if you use the mouthwash prior to brushing.
People with enamel loss always suffer from tooth sensitivity and that is why you should be very careful about the mouthwash you use. Remember, the lower the pH of a mouthwash, the more acidic it is. That is why you should always try to select a mouthwash that has a neutral pH to prevent enamel loss and subsequent tooth sensitivity.
More Articles :
- Does Using Mouthwash Increase Tooth Sensitivity ?
- Does Vinegar Make Teeth Sensitive ?
- Fluoride Concentrate For Sensitive Teeth
- How Are Teeth Sensitive ?
- Sensitive Tooth After Crown Put On Tooth
- Tooth Sensitivity After Brushing With Baking Soda
- Tooth Sensitivity And Natural Cause
- Tooth Sensitivity With New Toothpaste Brand
- Tooth Splinting And Sensitivity
- Tooth Suddenly Cold Sensitive
- Where Can I Find Natural Toothpaste For Sensitive Teeth ?