Many people are afraid to have their wisdom teeth extracted after reading horror stories of other patients on the Internet. Usually, wisdom tooth removal goes quite smoothly and it is the post-operative pain that people find difficult to handle. However, in rare cases, things can go wrong and these people are then left to handle wisdom tooth removal horrors.
One of the wisdom tooth removal horrors is the damaging of nerves, particularly the inferior alveolar nerve. This is usually is the risk when removing lower wisdom teeth. Sometimes the roots of the lower wisdom tooth can be very close to the nerves that run in the lower jaw and they can get damaged during the extraction process. If this happens, it could lead to permanent numbness of the lower lip, chin and tongue. Many people who have suffered this damage also lose their ability to taste on that side of the tongue. This occurs due to the usage of an instrument known as lingual nerve retractor. This instrument is used to put the nerve to one side during the tooth extraction process and it is the same instrument that ends up damaging the nerve.
Other wisdom tooth removal horrors involve the upper wisdom tooth removal when the root of the tooth is present inside the sinus. This can lead to severe sinus infection and the tooth removal site does not heal. A sinus tract forms from the wound to the sinus and the discharge from the sinus can come out of the wound leaving a constant bad taste in the mouth. People who have suffered this horror have to undergo another surgery to clean out the sinus and then close the sinus tract. It is only after this that the tooth extraction site starts healing, causing the patient weeks and months of pain and discomfort.
More Articles :
- Can Tissue Grow Around Food After Wisdom Teeth Are Pulled ?
- Can You Die From Infected Wisdom Tooth ?
- Can You Pull Wisdom Tooth At Home ?
- Cost Estimates For Wisdom Teeth Removal
- How Long Does It Take Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- How Long To Leave Gauze In Mouth After Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- Pre Op Guidelines For Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Sleeping After Upper Wisdom Tooth Pulled
- Teeth Shift Caused By Wisdom Teeth
- What Is Prescribed Pain Killer To Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- What To Eat After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction And Serious Complications
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Horrors