Sinuses are pea size pouches located inside the nose. They extend outward into the bones of the face and skull. Sinuses are part of the nasal air and membrane system that produces mucus.
Mucus flow is a normal body function. Mucus picks up dust particles, bacteria and other pollutants. It gets swallowed in the throat and reaches the stomach where the acids destroy the dangerous bacteria.
The exact causes of throat cancer are not known. Some people get it. There are many who do not get it. It is not contagious hence one cannot catch this from another patient. Risk factors have been identified that increases the chance of somebody getting it. The risk factors are listed below.
Age -- People above 55 years of age are at risk.
Gender -- Men are 4 times more likely to get than women.
Race -- African Americans are more likely to contract throat cancer than Caucasians.
Smoking -- Risk level is higher for smokers. The risk level increases further if smoking is accompanied with alcohol.
Alcohol -- People who drink alcohol are at risk. Risk level increases further if drinking is more.
History of head and neck cancer -- 25 percent people who had head and neck cancer are known to develop another head and neck cancer.
Occupation -- Workers exposed to sulfuric acid mist are at risk
The symptoms of throat cancer are given below:
- Hoarseness or other voice changes
- A lump in the neck
- A sore throat or a feeling that something is stuck in the neck.
- A cough that does not go away
- Breathing problem
- Bad breath
- An earache
- Weight loss
More Articles :
- First Sign Of Throat Cancer
- What Does Throat Cancer Look Like ?
- Difference Between Sinus Drainage And Throat Cancer
- Is Cancer Of The Throat And Esophogus Curable ?
- Support For Throat Cancer Patients
- Throat Cancer Symptoms
- Best Holistic Throat Cancer Cures
- Throat Cancer From Chewing Tabacoo
- What Is Cancer In Lymph Nodes Of Throat ?