Childhood schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by hallucinations, delusions, thought disturbances, disorganized behavior, emotional and social withdrawal and difficulty in information processing.
All these symptoms can have adverse effect on a child’s ability to learn and grow at school.
Your child might need extra help and support from their teachers, school system or a completely different educational environment. There are several good suggestions for helping and teaching a child with schizophrenia.
Here are some tips for teaching and managing a schizophrenic child.
- The first and the foremost important thing is that educator should be well aware of the symptoms, causes, and treatment of schizophrenia and other psychological and emotional problems associated with it.
- The teacher or trainer should provide a stress free environment for a child with schizophrenia. Stress seems to be one thing that can worsens the symptoms of schizophrenia in child. Teaching and training in quiet and secluded place is a one way to provide the student with stress free environment.
- Work with the schizophrenic child and help them to set realistic academic and social goals. Establish regular meetings with family or student to discuss issues problems or successes.
- Encourage the schizophrenic child to participate in sports and extra-curricular activities in school. Encourage him to mix with other normal students in the school.
- The educators or teachers work with the school system, health professional, and educational advocates to designed an individualized education program according to the needs of the child which will nurture and develop his social and mental skills.
- Help your child to form supportive relationship with the school nurse or counselor. Also help child’s teacher and other school administrators to understand the illness by providing them plenty of reading material on schizophrenia.
- There are also options available for schizophrenic child in the form of special school and home school where they will get an environment which is completely free from academic stress.
More Articles :
- Teaching Schizophrenic Children
- Can Schizophrenia Caused By Video Games
- Connection Between Schizophrenia And Diabetes And Marijuana
- How Does Schizophrenia Differ From Schizoaffective
- How To Get A Paranoid Schizophrenic Committed
- Physical Health Monitoring And Schizophrenia
- Schizophrenia D Amino Acids
- Schizophrenia Diet And Exercise