Symptoms Of Methane Gas Poisoning

Symptoms Of Methane Gas Poisoning

Methane is a poisonous gas and can lead to death if inhaled in excess. A person can induce methane into their body by inhaling it, drinking, eating and also touching. Actually most of us would have taken methane in some form or the other. The most common form of methane intake is through inhalation.

Methane can get into normal air if there is a crack in the sewer pipe or if we passed to close to a septic tank for example. Another way to have methane poisoning is if we drink a glass of water that contained methane in it. Water easily gets contaminated with methane but at the same time methane is a fast evaporating gas and so it may not stay very long in water. Touching and eating food or liquids that contain methane is very rare however it does happen sporadically.

If someone has had methane gas poisoning, then they exhibit some classic symptoms of poisoning. Methane when consumed in excess starts replacing the oxygen in the body. It causes headaches of severe forms and also dehydration very quickly. Vomiting also may be one of the symptoms. The person might feel extremely suffocated finding it very hard to breathe. The only cure is to rush the person to the emergency room and they are put on an immediate supply of oxygen though life support mask. Also, the person is put on intravenous drip so that the body does not get dehydrated further.

The only way to escape death after methane gas poisoning is to get to the hospital as soon as you can.

More Articles :

Symptoms Of Methane Gas Poisoning