We all know the health benefits of jogging but many of us who have never jogged before can get intimidated with the prospect. However, jogging need not be an ordeal if you have clear goals in place. Here are some tips that will teach you how to start jogging.
How to Start Jogging:
If you are a complete novice, you need to have a plan that will teach you how to start jogging. Here is a 8-week plan that will get you started and uses the run and walk method, which will make it easy for you to start jogging.
- Before starting to jog, just like with any other strenuously exercise program, make sure you are healthy enough. If necessary ask your doctor whether you can take on this physical activity.
- Then go out and buy a pair of good running shoes. Make sure your shoes are built for comfort and preventing injuries.
- Before you start any exercise routine, it is necessary for you to warm up and then cool down. Take 5 to 10 minutes before starting the exercise and another 5 to 10 minutes after the exercise to warm up and cool down.
- In the first week, do not expect too much. Here you will be walking for 6 minutes and then jogging for 1 minute. Repeat this 3 times for 3 days with a rest day in between.
- Now you are in your second week and you have to increase the jogging time. Therefore, your walking time will decrease to 5 minutes and jogging time will increase to 2 minutes. Again, this has to be 3 times in each of the 3 sessions for the week.
- By week three, you will be feeling healthier so now walk only for 3 minutes and jog for 4 minutes. But now your weekly session will increase to 4 and in each session you should repeat the exercise 4 times.
- In week four, your walking time decreases to 2 minutes while your jogging increases to 5 minutes. Repeat it 4 times and have four sessions a week.
- By week five, you will be better equipped to run for a longer period. Therefore, walk for 2 minutes and then jog for 8 minutes. Repeat this 3 times in each session. You should continue with the four sessions a week.
- In week six, your walking time is still 2 minutes but your jogging time should increase to 9 with the number of repeats and sessions staying the same.
- By week seven, decrease your walking time to a minute and your jogging time to 11 minutes. Repeat 3 times in each of the 4 sessions for the week.
- In your last week, your walking should be for 5 minutes to warm up and cool down your body. You should jog for 20 minutes and before the eighth week finishes, try to jog for 30 minutes continuously. You should jog 4 times a week.
More Articles :