Can A Dog Die From Eating Chocolate

Can A Dog Die From Eating Chocolate ?

We all love chocolate. It evokes a beautiful sensation that is hard to describe. And very often when we are indulging in this passion of eating chocolate, the family dog may come with sad eyes begging to be fed a little piece of chocolate; and without thinking you may break off some and feed the dog.

But did you know that chocolate can be lethal to a dog? Just eating a small piece of chocolate can make your dog crave for more and he will want any and every type of chocolate just to stem the craving. So, when vets say that chocolate is lethal, can a dog die from eating chocolate? The answer is yes. A dog can die from eating chocolate.

Chocolate poisoning in dogs is not as rare as you think. In fact, it happens quite often. Chocolate contains a naturally occurring chemical known as theobromine. This chemical increase urination and adversely affects the heart muscle and central nervous system of the dog. Basically it is the theobromine present in the chocolate that is responsible for causing adverse reaction in dogs and thereby killing them.

Just by watching your dog, you will know that he has eaten too much chocolate. He will display symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and/or hyperactivity. As theobromine is absorbed into the body, the dog's heart will increase causing irregular heart beats, muscle twitching, increase urination and excessive panting. All these symptoms can lead to seizures, coma and death of your dog.

So, the next time someone asks you can a dog die from eating chocolate, you know how to reply to the question.

More Articles :

Can A Dog Die From Eating Chocolate