Toe and foot diseases are quite common and some of them can cause pain and discomfort. However, there is no single remedy of these diseases as there are different types of foot pain with varied symptoms.
Here is a brief review of different types of toe and foot diseases:
- Ingrown toenails are characterized by a nail curling into the skin which causes pain, swelling and infection at times. Open toe sandals and shoes help.
- Corns and calluses are featured by hard and dead skin and pain over the corn. Areas affected are the little toe, soles of the feet or areas exposed to friction.
- Bunions are a condition where the toes point inwards. The area next to the bump is swollen and red. It affects the big or little toe. Wearing soft, wide-toed shoes or sandals is of help.
- Morton’s neuroma is cramping pain occurs between toes. The neuroma can be discovered by pressing hard between the toes. The condition is worsened by prolonged standing and relief is got by removing shoes. It usually occurs on the three middle toes or at the bottom of the foot near the toes. An insole with pad brings relief.
- Hammertoe is when the toes form a hammer or claw shape. At first there is absence of pain. Later, pain increases as the tendon becomes tighter. It may develop in any of the three middle toes. Wide shoes or toe pads may be used.
- Metatarsalgia is known for chronic pain. The ball of the foot is affected. Wide box-toe shoes may be used.
- Metatarsal stress fracture results in pain with physical activities like running and jumping.
- Sesamoiditis where pain occurs with swelling. Ball of the foot beneath the big toe is where it takes place. Low heeled shoes with stiff sole should be used.
- Plantar fasciitis is when a tearing or popping sound is heard. It is extremely painful on getting up from bed and decreases after that.
More Articles :