Hip pain can be caused by a number of conditions so proper identification of the root cause is the primary step to effective treatment. Sharp needle-like pain in the hip can arise due to the following reasons:
- Arthritis, the most common reason which in the worst case may require hip replacement surgery.
- Trochanteric Bursitis, a very common problem resulting in inflammation and pain on the outside of the hip.
- Tendonitis, which can affect any of the tendons surrounding the hip joint.
- Lumbar pain due to sciatica or herniated discs.
- Osteonecrosis when blood flow to the bone area is curtailed.
- Snapping hip syndrome
- Muscle strains
- Hip fracture
- Stress fracture
Typical symptoms resulting in or from hip pain are:
- Inability or difficulty in walking comfortably on the affected side
- Deformity around the joint
- Hip pain occurring at night or while resting
- Hip pain persisting beyond a few days
- Inability to bend the hip
- Swelling in the hip or the thigh area
- Signs of an infection, including fever, redness, warmth
- Any other unusual symptoms
Treatment largely depends on proper identification of the underlying cause. But in uncomplicated issues resulting from muscle strain, the commonest forms of treatment are:
- Rest -- Avoiding strenuous activity and any motion that causes hip pain. Resting fatigued muscles and inflamed tendons around the hip.
- Ice and Heat -- Application of ice on the hip for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. After about two to three days, when the hip pain and inflammation have improved, hot packs or heating pads may help relax tightened and sore muscles. Limit heat applications to 20 minutes per day.
- Oral Medicines -- Taking suitable anti-inflammatory medicines may help reduce inflammation in the hip and provide hip pain relief and relieve back pain over right hip area as well.
More Articles :
- Hernia And Hip Pain
- Hip Pain Caused By Wrong Shoes
- Morning Foot And Hip Pain
- Multiple Sclerosis Leg And Hip Pain
- Pain In Left Thigh And Hip After Eating
- Pain In Lower Abdomen By Hip
- Right Hip Pain After Walking
- Severe Hip Pain At Night With Endometriosis
- What Causes Radiating Burning Pain From Hip To Knee ?
- Why Do I Have A Sharp Needle Like Pain In My Right Hip ?