Language development and cognitive skills or memory are interrelated in an intricate way and deeply woven together. In addition, language development and cognitive skills are also studied as two different aspects of development.
However, doctors have been trying to study if there is a direct connection between speech and cognitive development for few years now.
Experiments were conducted using babies to throw some light on the subject. Three year old children were once put to test so that experts can study their behavior based on the results of the experiment. During the experiment children where shown a series of memory cards that had simple drawings of lines or objects they see everyday. Children were asked to point the cards that were shown to them and see if they referred to the object using vocabulary. Actually a lot of children did identify the object and were using their memory to address it.
It was concluded after a series of experiments that memory does play a very important role in the development of the language ability in children. Children use visual recognition to associate to the language and this clearly indicates that there is a direct connection between cognitive and speech development in children. The fact that children do have short term memory is not true and it may refer to incidents that are not repetitive. Children tend to forget people, places and even incidents because they may not meet or go through it everyday. However, language is something that is used everyday constantly and after a point of time children do develop a permanent impression in their minds for certain words before it comes to them naturally.
More Articles :
- Asthma And Language Development
- Games That Aid In Language Development
- Language And Cognitive Development Of 3 To 5 Year Olds
- Language Development 5th Grade
- Language Development And Muscular Dystrophy
- Language Development Of Exceptional Children
- Language Development Of Four Year Old Children
- Music Impact On Language Development
- Outdoor Play And Language Development Skills
- Studies Of Language Development In 2 To 5 Year Olds