Psychology is the scientific method of studying mental process and behavior in a person. There are three major categories of psychology and they are cognitive, conative (motivation/drive) and affective.
Because of the wide ranging facets of study, there are different fields in psychology studying different aspects of human behavior and mental processes.
Different Fields of Psychology:
- Abnormal Psychology: This is the study of abnormal behavior patterns and the causes leading to this behavior. This field of psychology is used to treat many mental disorders and illnesses.
- Psychology of Addiction: A person dependent on a substance or drug due to psychological and physiological reasons. Psychology of addiction studies these reasons and helps the patient find ways to control or eliminate the addiction.
- Psychology of Advertising: This helps the retail market understand customer and consumer behavior and then based on results advertising techniques are employed to attract customers. Here the main study is customer behavior to different advertising strategies and methods.
- Psychology of Altruism: Altruism is selfless concern for welfare of others. This field of psychology studies the factors that cause a person to become selfless.
- Psychology of Ambition: Ambition is connected with the need for achievement and this field was developed by Heinz Kohut which studies the how ambition is a generated and the positive and negative factors connected with the process.
- Animal Psychology: Experts believe that animals react to a stimulus through trial and error and the resultant response is seen in their behavior. This field tries to understand animal mind better.
- Art Psychology: It is believed that a person's interest is art and portrayal of art is closely connected to the person's personality. Art psychology tries to gain a better understanding of the characteristics of art and its subsequent production.
- Psychology of Atheism: This field of psychology analyzes to see whether God really exists. Basically psychology of atheism studies the factors that lead to people disbelieving the existence of God.
- Psychology of Attraction: Looks to analyze the factors that control relationships between humans. It also attempts to answer questions as to what are the factors that form the basis of a relationship.
- Psychology of Beauty: The idea of beauty changes from one person to another. What one person finds beautiful need not necessarily be perceived as beautiful by another. Psychology of beauty tried to find out how the human mind perceives beauty and what are the factors that contribute to making something appear beautiful to a person.
- Psychology of Behavior: This field of psychology analyzes behavior patterns in a person. It studies the various factors that influence different types of behaviors.
- Psychology of Belief: This field tries to analyze a person's belief system and how it affects the person's behavior.
- Biological Psychology: This field is related to understanding the biological aspect of human behavior.
- Child Psychology: Here the development of children is analyzed.
- Cognitive Psychology: It analyzes the mental processes which are responsible for behavior.
- Color Psychology: Studies the effect of different colors on human behavior and emotions.
- Comparative Psychology: Studies the mental processes in animals to get a better understanding of human psychology.
- Counseling Psychology: Deals with counseling of people and focuses on stress management.
- Clinical Psychology: It is the analysis and treatment of different mental disorders and illnesses.
- Psychology of Communication: Analyzes patterns of behavior that cause different emotions in humans. Here verbal and non-verbal communication is studied.
- Psychology of Creativity: It involves the study of factors that lead to creative thinking in humans.
- Criminal Psychology: Studies the thoughts and reactions of criminals. It also analyzes the factors that cause criminal behavior.
- Developmental Psychology: Analyzes behavioral patterns across different age groups. It also studies the changes in behavior as a person ages.
- Psychology of Dreams: This field of psychology follows Freudian interpretation of dreams and studies the causes of dreams and their significance.
- Educational Psychology: Studies education and the resultant behavioral and social development.
- Forensic Psychology: Works with criminal justice system and tries to analyze and evaluate the psychology of an offender.
- Health Psychology: Here psychology is applied to healthcare and involves the study and analysis of health-related behaviors.
- Human Factors Psychology: Studies how psychology affections human interactions with the objects in the human's environment. It is sometimes also referred to as engineering psychology.
- Industrial Psychology: Analyzes and looks for ways how to increase a person's potential at his workplace.
- Neuropsychology: Tries to understand how the brain affects behavior in humans.
- Personality Psychology: Analyzes different types of personalities and then studies the effect of behavior, thoughts and emotions of each personality type.
- Quantitative Psychology: Here mathematical and statistical data is used to study behavior in humans.
- School Psychology: This is a combination of educational and clinical psychology. It basically tries to understand and treat students with learning disabilities.
- Social Psychology: Deals with the study of how humans think about each other and how they react in different social situations.
- Sports Psychology: It studies the various factors that influence a person's performance in sports.
More Articles :