In 2006, a study was conducted by the University of Rochester and National Technical Institute for the Deaf that showed that women who took hormonal replacement therapy were at the risk of suffering from hormonal hearing loss.
The research showed that nearly 10 to 30 percent of the women who took hormonal replacement therapy as the part of this study ended up having worse hearing compared to women who did not receive the therapy.
Hormonal replacement therapy is used widely to alleviate the symptoms of menopause and in the last few years this therapy has been linked to blood clots, strokes and breast cancer in women. This is the first study to show that hormonal replacement therapy can cause hormonal hearing loss.
This study is quite important as it shows that there is yet another side effect of hormonal replacement therapy. However, the results were not something that the researchers were expecting. Both men and women have estrogen receptors in the ears and when the woman receives more hormones through hormonal replacement therapy, it should improve her hearing. However, this was not the case. The therapy, in fact, lead to hormonal hearing loss in the participants. The researchers found that in laboratory, when estrogen is given to animals, it helps the nerve cells of the brain and ears. However, in women it seems to be having adverse effect on the ear cells.The researchers believe that more studies have to be done into order to figure out whether the hormonal hearing loss was caused because the hormone used in the therapy was not a natural dose or whether the timing of giving the dose was having an adverse effect.
More Articles :
- Adjustment Disorder Due To Hearing Loss
- Can Conductive Hearing Loss Be Cured
- Conductive Hearing Loss And Treatments
- Home Test For Hearing Loss
- Hormonal Hearing Loss
- How Long Does Temporary Hearing Loss Last
- Is Conductive Hearing Loss A Disability
- New Treatments For Sudden Hearing Loss
- Physical Effects Of Hearing Loss
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes And Symptoms Treatment
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes
- Temporary Hearing Loss Causes
- Treatment For High Frequency Hearing Loss
- What Causes Conductive Hearing Loss
- What Is The Definition Of Hearing Loss