In the United States, each year around 25,000 people suffer from sudden hearing loss. The chance of having sudden hearing loss is one in 10,000 and those who suffer from sudden hearing loss in one ear have a higher risk of losing their hearing suddenly even in the other ear.
So, what causes sudden hearing loss? There are many sudden hearing loss causes but some of them are mentioned below.
- You can suffer from sudden hearing loss if you rupture your eardrum. This can occur due to a congenital defect, ear injury or ear infection. Usually the eardrum heals on its own but you have to take antibiotics to prevent infection. Along with the hearing loss you have also suffer from tinnitus, loss of balance and dizziness which will eventually subside. If you suffer from a weak eardrum at birth and along the way it ruptures, then your sudden hearing loss will invariably be permanent.
- Viral infection of the upper respiratory system can often spread to the inner ear. When this happens, you can suffer from sudden hearing loss. Usually you have to take a high dose of steroids and anti-viral drugs to get rid of the infection and usually as the infection subsides, your hearing will return.
- Many people who have poor circulation can suffer from sudden hearing loss when there is a loss of circulation to the inner ear. This usually happens due to a blockage of an artery and can be viewed as a stroke of the inner ear.
- Sudden hearing loss can also occur due to loud noise, sudden pressure change, medication that is harmful for the ears, head injury, and Meniere's Disease. Usually in this type of hearing loss, certain measures can be taken to restore normal hearing.
More Articles :
- Adjustment Disorder Due To Hearing Loss
- Can Conductive Hearing Loss Be Cured
- Conductive Hearing Loss And Treatments
- Home Test For Hearing Loss
- Hormonal Hearing Loss
- How Long Does Temporary Hearing Loss Last
- Is Conductive Hearing Loss A Disability
- New Treatments For Sudden Hearing Loss
- Physical Effects Of Hearing Loss
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes And Symptoms Treatment
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes
- Temporary Hearing Loss Causes
- Treatment For High Frequency Hearing Loss
- What Causes Conductive Hearing Loss
- What Is The Definition Of Hearing Loss