Shortness of breath after bypass surgery is normal and it may take weeks or months to recover. If there is pain associated with it, then the doctor needs to be informed and consulted. There is a need to call the surgeon’s office if any of the following symptoms are experienced.
- Temperature above 101 degrees F on more than one occasion or chills for 24 hours
- Excessive oozing, redness, swelling and tenderness at the incision sites
- Increased fatigue or shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain or other symptoms not relieved by medications.
Lung problems after bypass surgery are a possibility. Some of the lung related complications are given below.
- Fluid build-up
- Air outside the lung
- Lung failure
Patients with existing lung disease are at greater risk of developing lung problems.
If the patient gets upset for any reason, the heart works harder. It is better to avoid such situations during the recovery phase of the patient. It is necessary to anticipate and avoid such situations, people or topics of conversation that can make the patient angry.
Aerobic exercise is considered as the best to strengthen the heart and cardiovascular system. Aerobic exercises of 30 minute duration 3-4 times a week are required. A patient who is recovering from surgery has to modify the intensity and the frequency of these exercises to ensure safety. Initially it is better to stick to low level exercise program to help in the recovery.
One can take up walking several times a day to build endurance. As the patient progresses in the next 4 to 6 weeks, he can slowly increase the exercise time and walking time can be reduced accordingly. One has to space and pace the activities. One should also avoid heavy one armed activity for three months.
More Articles :
- Are Patients Cold After Bypass Heart Surgery ?
- Brain Infection After Heart Surgery
- Breathing Problems After Bypass Heart Surgery
- Erection Pain After Open Heart Surgery
- Foot Pain After Heart Surgery
- Heart Transplant From Animals To Humans
- Maximum Age For Heart Transplant In Usa
- Mortality Rates Of Open Heart Surgery
- Natural Alternatives To Heart Bypass Surgery
- Scar Tissue Pain After Heart Surgery