Total hip replacement is not a very rare thing these days. It is usually performed on people who have arthritis of the hip joint. It involves replacing the normal ball and socket hip joint with a metal ball and stem.
This metal ball and stem is inserted into the femur bone and an artificial plastic cup socket. Here is the total hip replacement standard protocol for your information.
Immediately after the operation, the doctors need to monitor signs of swelling, DVT, dislocation etc. After a day’s rest, the patient should be encouraged to sit up on the bed 2-3 times a day. Before the patient is discharged from the hospital, he/she needs to be taught all sitting exercises.
Once the hip replacement is done and the patient discharged from the hospital, there are some post operative precautions that have to be taken by the patients. Besides precautions, there are several medications that the patient needs to take for the prescribed period. The medication would include medicines for preventing blood clot in legs, muscle relaxation, for pain and for sleep. The patient may be advised to walk with the help or walker or crutches for a period of 4-6 weeks after the operation in short sessions, besides continuing with the exercises that were taught to him/her. Resuming of sexual activity may be done when the patient is comfortable; however, they have to be within hip precautions. The doctor would decide as to when the patient may be allowed to start driving.
The patient needs to continue with post operation follow up for a minimum of 12 weeks following which he can resume all his regular activities barring the ones which would involve lifting weights or contact sports.
More Articles :
- Basic Total Hip Replacement Precautions
- Chairs For Hip Replacement Recovery
- Hip Replacement And Anterior Incision Problems
- Hip Replacement And Post Surgery Problems
- How Much Does A Hip Replacement Cost ?
- Patient Experiences With Hip Replacement
- Perioperative Blood Loss In Hip Replacement
- Sleeping On The Side After Total Hip Replacement
- Total Hip Replacement And Sexual Activity
- Total Hip Replacement Standard Protocol
- What To Expect 6 Weeks After Hip Replacement ?