Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty are two cosmetic surgical procedures meant for two different applications. Both are used for the nose. While Rhinoplasty procedure is followed to change the shape and contour of the patient’s nose, Septoplasty is a reconstructive procedure used to improve the function of the nose from inside.
Rhinoplasty is mainly for improving the aesthetics and to change the appearance of the nose which in turn can improve the person’s appearance.
If the patient has a deviated septum, it is due to crooked cartilage that divides the nose in to two portions. This can interfere with breathing and draining of the sinuses. The nose surgery is done to correct septum and improve breathing is known as Septoplasty.
The following are the complications associated with Septoplasty.
- Airway may not improve as expected.
- Swelling of the external nose or change in appearance may take place.
- Septal perforation or hole in the septum may materialize. This may cause whistling or bleeding. A severe septal perforation may alter the shape of the external nose.
- Numbness of the tip of the nose or upper front teeth may be felt for several months.
- Bleeding may persist and this may require medical attention. Patients undergoing nasal surgery need to stop aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs 10 days prior to surgery. Otherwise these medications can produce bleeding.
- Septal hematoma or persistent bleeding underneath the septum skin. This needs to be recognized within 24 hours and drained.
- Possibility of infection. If patient develops rash or high fever, physician needs to be contacted due to possibility of toxic shock syndrome.
- Loss of smell.
More Articles :
- What To Expect After Rhinoplasty ?
- What Type Of Tape To Use After Rhinoplasty ?
- How Much Does A Nose Job Rhinoplasty Cost
- Rhinoplasty And Before And After
- Rhinoplasty Open Procedure
- Rhinoplasty Risks
- Septoplasty Rhinoplasty Complications
- How Much Is A Nose Jobs ?
- Recovery From Nose Job
- Dent After Rhinoplasty
- Is It Normal To Have A Bump On Your Nose After Rhinoplasty ?
- Smoking After Rhinoplasty