Macular degeneration is a disorder which causes loss of vision. Although the main cause is genetic inheritance, other factors which might add to the degeneration include environmental factors, nutritional deficiencies or bad life-style. The condition deteriorates with progress of age and the best way to ensure that this condition does not set in is to have regular eye check-ups, take preventive steps and adopt a healthy life-style.
Many factors which can be associated with this condition are:
- Age: The chances of contraction this condition increases with age.
- Race: Although people belonging to any race can contract this disorder, it is more common in whites.
- Pigmentation: It is common in people having light pigmentation.
- Color of iris: People with light colored iris are prone to contract any form of this degeneration.
- Gender: Women are more prone to this disorder than men.
- Obesity: People with excess weight or metabolic syndrome also called ‘X- Syndrome’ are more prone to contracting this disorder.
- Sleep apnea: This increases the chances of macular degeneration.
- Exposure to sun-light: People living near the equator region or in high altitude areas; those having work out-doors or pursuing outdoor hobbies are more prone.
- Medication: People having medicines for condition like osteoporosis are more prone to contract this disorder.
One should include foods like yellow corn, grapes, egg yolk, kiwi fruit, spinach, zucchini, squash and orange juice in their diet. These contain zeaxanthin and lutein which are regarded as substances which have the ability to reduce the chances of contracting macular degeneration.
More Articles :
- Cause Of Macular Degeneration
- Early Symptoms Of Macular Degeneration
- Lutein Treatment For Macular Degeneration
- Macular Degeneration And Vitamins
- Macular Degeneration Cure
- Visual Aids For Macular Degeneration
- Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Macular Degeneration Supplements
- What Can I Do To Stop Macular Degeneration