Pneumonia is an infection of lungs caused by bacteria, viruses and other microorganism and sometimes by physical and chemical irritant. When a person has pneumonia, his lung tissues are filled with pus and other fluid, which makes it difficult for the person to breathe.
The length of pneumonia depends on the specific organism causing it and the type of pneumonia the person has. Some pneumonia last as little as several days, although two to three weeks is more common; but the cough can last even longer. Generally pneumonia caused by bacteria’s are severe than those caused by viral infection and it takes longer time to heal. The duration of pneumonia also depends on the type of pneumonia i.e. whether the pneumonia is double pneumonia, that is infection in both lungs, or walking pneumonia, that is mild enough that you may not even notice it. Walking pneumonia, which is caused by flu or cold, is different from bacterial pneumonia and can be treated in few days with antibiotics.
Besides this the length of the pneumonia also depends on the fact, how far the pneumonia has penetrated into your lungs, your age, weight, and yours body’s unique way of handling the healing process, the treatment method adopted and the medications prescribed. Again it also depends on your fitness and activities during that time, food and liquid consumed during the treatment and the environment where the patient is getting treatment.
Most types of pneumonia resolve within a week or two, although the cough may linger for several weeks more. If a complication has occurred, then it may take longer time for you to completely recover from pneumonia.
More Articles :
- Can You Die From Pneumonia ?
- Can You Die From Walking Pneumonia ?
- How Is Pneumonia Spread ?
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious ?
- How Often Do You Need A Pneumonia Vaccine ?
- Walking Pneumonia Symtoms
- What Are The Symptoms Of Bronchial Pneumonia ?
- What Is Walking Pneumonia ?
- When Is Pneumonia No Longer Contagious ?
- How Long Does It Take To Cure Pneumonia ?
- How Long Does Pneumonia Last ?
- Is Pneumonia Contagious
- Pneumonia And Signs And Symptoms
- Why Is My Lung Scarred From Pneumonia ?