Pneumonia is an infection of lungs which involves lung tissues. The lung tissues involve the alveoli (or air sacs) and the bronchi (air tubes). Pneumonia is caused by viruses, bacteria and certain microorganisms. Considering the contagious nature of pneumonia, it is important to note that pneumonia itself is not contagious but the bacteria, viruses and microorganisms that cause pneumonia can be contagious, particularly the viruses.
Pneumonia can be caused by the same virus that causes the common cold and these viruses can be passed on from one person to other although the infection may result in a “cold” to one person and “pneumonia” to the other person depending on the immune system of the person.
When a person has a “cold” or “pneumonia” it is important to take care to prevent the spread of viruses by hand-washing so you minimize the infection being contagious. To prevent the viruses that can cause pneumonia being contagious, it is wise to keep that person in isolation and proper precautions should be taken that his drinking glasses and eating utensils are not used by other until he completely recovers from the pneumonia.
The elders usually have bacterial or viral pneumonia, while those that are under 40 years old suffer from mycoplasmal pneumonia. This form of pneumonia is very contagious, once it affected a family member it will soon affects the others too. Mycoplasmal pneumonia responds well to treatment with the appropriate antibiotics. It is not as dangerous as the other forms of pneumonia, but untreated it can cause serious complications. Besides this, some conditions causing a type of pneumonia such as tuberculosis are very contagious and you should see your doctor if you have been in contact with someone with tuberculosis. This type of pneumonia is also contagious.
More Articles :
- Can You Die From Pneumonia ?
- Can You Die From Walking Pneumonia ?
- How Is Pneumonia Spread ?
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious ?
- How Often Do You Need A Pneumonia Vaccine ?
- Walking Pneumonia Symtoms
- What Are The Symptoms Of Bronchial Pneumonia ?
- What Is Walking Pneumonia ?
- When Is Pneumonia No Longer Contagious ?
- How Long Does It Take To Cure Pneumonia ?
- How Long Does Pneumonia Last ?
- Is Pneumonia Contagious
- Pneumonia And Signs And Symptoms
- Why Is My Lung Scarred From Pneumonia ?