Tinnitus can have many different causes. But it is surprising to know that some drugs can actually cause tinnitus. Certain medications are toxic to the ear (ototoxic). Consumption of certain medication may produce tinnitus as a side effect without any damage to inner ear.
Medications that may cause or worsen tinnitus are called ototoxic drugs. There are very few ototoxic drugs. They are rarely prescribed and if so, they are prescribed to patients who are seriously ill in the hospitals. In many cases these drugs are prescribed to save the patient's life.
Some of the drugs that cause tinnitus include:
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics: These are powerful antibiotics used to treat very serious infections.
- Cytotoxic drugs: These drugs are used to treat cancer.
- Loop diuretics: These drugs increases the production of urine and are used to treat heart failure, high blood pressure and some kidney disorder. They are only likely to cause permanent damage to the hearing when used with other ototoxic drugs.
Apart from this, some anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants and aspirin also aggravate the symptoms of tinnitus. Some other medications that may worsen tinnitus include tablets and nasal sprays that people use to unblock their clogged noses and sinuses.
If your tinnitus is caused by the medication you are taking, the best cure is to stop them immediately after consulting your doctor. Some people think that tinnitus is caused or worsen by the medication they take but it is not true. Although a large number of drugs list tinnitus as a possible side effect, not everyone will develop tinnitus as a result of taking that drug. If you are worried that the drug you are consuming is making your tinnitus worse, you can ask your doctor to prescribe an alternative drug that does not have tinnitus as one of the possible side effects.
More Articles :
- Best Treatment Tinnitus
- Does Pulmonary Hypertension Cause Pulsatile Tinnitus
- Homeopathics For Tinnitus
- Symptoms For Tinnitus
- Tinnitus Causes
- Vitamins To Help Tinnitus
- Drugs That Help Tinnitus
- List Of Drugs That Cause Tinnitus
- Medical Treatment For Tinnitus
- Single Sided Deafness And Tinnitus
- Tinnitus And Senility
- Tinnitus And Vitamin C